The Road Home

The Road Home
There is no place like home.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Wanna Be A Ham?

Hello, Frank here.

For those that like to plan ahead, I plan on a series of posts explaining ham radio - equipment, frequencies, bandwidths and information of that nature. I also will be providing information about how to obtain your ham
radio license. All of the information can be obtained online for free, perfectly legal, and you don't need your cousin Billy to do it for you. There are websites that you can also pay to help you get your license, but the only time you need to have contact with a human is when you actually take the test. To the best of my knowledge, these tests cost $15.00. You ask, "Where do I take the test?" I will show you how to find this information and the people you will need to contact.

So, short recap. Ham radio equipment, rules and regulations and how to obtain your ham radio license. Getting your license can easily be done online. A number of years ago someone told me that any person of reasonable intelligence can build a basic house. And I will modify that a little bit and say - Any person of reasonable intelligence can get their ham radio license.

Come back around, and we will get this process started in the near future. If you miss something it will be listed under Frank's Radio Communications. Look for Radio - Ham Introduction. No joke. Getting a ham license is not difficult. You will have to register with the FCC and take the test in a room full of (normally) old men and fork up $15.00. I did it. And if I can do it, just about anybody can do it.




We'll talk more later. 73, Frank 


4 comments:

  1. My Grandfather had a ham radio I remember him talking with friends :) He loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hopefully, you can talk to your friends and enjoy it also.

      Frank

      Delete
  2. Ok Frank, I put your blog on my list & I'll be back... Ham radio is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob,

      My wife and I used to drive back and forth to Oklahoma from Alaska every summer. Now that we've settled with the goats and chickens we don't RV anymore.

      Quite a few RVer's are ham radio operators. Hope the posts will meet your need.

      Frank

      Delete