The Road Home

The Road Home
There is no place like home.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Frank's Green Bean Casserole

You know that traditional green bean casserole that we have all been making for years? Well, a long time ago Frank came up with his own version of green bean casserole. And since he is a guy and has been trying to convince me for years that he is a carnivore (he eats meat) not an omnivore (he doesn't like to eat fruit and vegetables - except potatoes - potato chips and fried potatoes), guess what he added to the green bean casserole recipe? Meat, of course. Just about any ground meat will do, but it's best with sausage. We have never met a man that doesn't like it. So, here is Frank's Green Bean Casserole.

Start with green beans. If you are making a 13 x 9 casserole you will need 4 cans or pints of green beans. I cooked these beans from our garden on Saturday for this casserole. This is the first time I have used our homegrown green beans for this recipe. 
While I am collecting all of the ingredients, I brown the sausage. This is about a pound and a half. We buy two pound rolls from the local kids in the agricultural programs at school. They sell it once a year as a fundraiser.


For each two pints of green beans you use, you need one can of cream of mushroom soup. I have thought about trying to make my own, but have never taken the time. We don't eat it very often, but it is very convenient. We buy the French's Fried Onions in the big bag at the warehouse market. We always used more than the recipe called for so this makes it even easier. Don't even try to read the ingredients.


Remember the squash I canned? I thought it would go well in this recipe, so I added two pints. I didn't tell Frank first, though, because it falls in the omnivore category.





Add the mushroom soup.....

then I fill each can half full of milk to swish out the remaining soup.







Add the squash.....
or not.








Add the meat.....
  
I use this slotted scoop to drain out some of the grease.








To this I add 3 cups of fried onions. 






 
Mix well and pour in baking dish.

 





Put a layer of fried onions on top. This is where you can put as many as you like. 







Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes depending upon your ingredients and how big your pan is. This time I used my 14 x 10 for a large casserole to take to church for our luncheon. So I baked it for an hour.



 

Here is my trusty casserole carrier.

 

This casserole is easy to make, transport and share. We all eat lunch at church once a month right after the service. It is a good time of fellowship and a great place to get new recipes. This time we came home with some leftovers. Sometimes the pan is empty. The squash is a good addition to this casserole. I will have to see what else I can use it in. I am glad I have it on the shelf to add to recipes along the way. It is nutritious and we grew it. That always adds to the flavor. Frank even liked it.

Until next time - Fern

No comments:

Post a Comment