The Road Home

The Road Home
There is no place like home.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

What Happened to My Hand

Somehow, during the initial surgery on my right hand for trigger finger release, I got an infection, actinomyces. Never heard of it? Neither had we. It's a form of bacteria that is common in the mouth of humans and many animals. Normal old bacteria, they're everywhere and usually don't cause any trouble. Not this time.


The infection showed up in the palm of my right hand when the incision reopened and started weeping a clear, plasma type liquid about two weeks after surgery, about mid December, 2015. The surgeon had already seen me again and cleared me for all activities indicating it was healing very well. We went back to see him and his concern was there was some kind of particulate that was in there causing problems. The hand never got a nasty, pus-like infection, just this clear weeping. They ran blood cultures and all kinds of things, but everything came back negative.

My hand before it broke open and started weeping the first time.

We had scheduled to have the trigger finger on my left hand fixed in late December, so he went back into the right hand as well and 'cleaned it out'. That seemed to work fine until about mid February when it swelled up and got very painful. Back to the surgeon we went. He was very concerned. You see, we liked this surgeon, he was young, very intelligent and a prepper. We had already discussed some of the books his dad made him read which started him down the path of preparing for a collapse. Interesting, huh?

Well, he put a steroid shot in the hand for the swelling, began to massage it in and the incision opened up again - six weeks after the last surgery. He knew something was very wrong and we scheduled another surgery for the next day to take a tissue sample and send it off to be cultured. That took about a week. Then we got a phone call on March 4th, three months after the original surgery in early December.

'You need to come to the hospital right now and start a week of IV antibiotics'. What? And have another surgery for a debridement - removal of the tendon sheath material surrounding the surgery site of the trigger release. Well, we quickly took care of the animals, packed up some necessities and went to the hospital, 60 miles away. Needless to say, this was rather scary. The infectious disease doctor that met us in the ER scared us to death. He couldn't tell me if I would lose my hand or that the infection hadn't spread all over my body.

I was put on high doses of IV penicillin for the week I was there, had a fourth surgery on that hand where the surgeon roto-rootered out the area in the palm and up and down the finger to try to clean out every last bit of that infection. Frank drove back and forth everyday to take care of the animals and be with me at night. He was beyond exhausted and never complained once, not once.


Upon release from the hospital, I was sent home with a pic line in my arm and arrangements for home health to assist us in another three weeks of IV antibiotics. My loving husband got to change the penicillin and put another syringe of antibiotics in my line everyday. All of this made me very sick, along with
trying to recuperate the use of my right hand. Yes, I am right handed. During this month I was basically quarantined. I could not touch an animal and wouldn't go around people to minimize the risk of infection through the pic line. Pic lines are scary things, giving access straight to the blood stream and heart if anything gets through the barrier. I didn't take a shower, just did sponge baths for a month. Frank helped me wash my hair by spraying it with the shower head as I knelt beside the tub and used one hand. The release from that pic line was one happy day. After the nurse left that removed it, I went straight to the barn to see my dog and goats. Up until then I had only been able to look at them through the fence for a month.

All through this, we had weekly trips to the infectious disease doctor, with first daily, then weekly blood tests. This doctor wanted me to stay in the hospital for the whole month. We refused and went with home health and frequent 60 mile trips back to see him and run the tests.


Following the IV antibiotics, were five more months of very strong oral antibiotics that also gave me headaches and made me sick. Because of the long term doses of the medication I did a lot of research on digestive track damage and recovery. I took a probiotic capsule everyday, drank gallons of kefir and started adding inulin to our coffee. To this day, I feel that my digestive track hasn't returned to it's former state. We do what we can diet wise, but what is done is done. 

After all of the antibiotic treatment was finished, I had a bone scan, CT scan of my heart, MRIs of my hand, abdominal organs and brain. All to make sure the infection had not metastasized during the three months it was active before detection and that the antibiotic treatment had been effective. The constant blood work throughout the treatment was to make sure none of them were causing liver or organ damage. 
 









In the end, the surgeon was surprised how much flexibility I regained in my hand and finger. He said most people that have had four surgeries at the same site, don't have near the range of motion. I told him it was hand milking goats that did it, along with hours of self physical therapy. It took a long time and I still don't have full range of motion or a strong grip. I drop things a whole lot more, but after about a year my brain adjusted to the new 'normal' of my hand.


Now, life goes on. I can't say I dealt with it very well at the time, I was angry for a while, felt so sick I couldn't and didn't do much, got fairly depressed while quarantined, but finally came out of all of that. Life is what it is and sometimes dishes up some fairly unpalatable experiences. I just had to remind myself that it is not the experience in and of itself that is most important, but what you learn from it in the process. Being a willing learner is sometimes the most difficult part. That is true of what is happening in our world and country. Take it for what it really is instead of what we wish it was. Learn and accept, this is where we are. Then get on down the road.

Until next time - Fern

20 comments:

  1. Thank God we weren't in a grid down situation when the infection set in. I am glad you are recovering and helping us again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely right about that, Sharon. We were fortunate enough to have a doctor that worked with us to obtain all of the antibiotics needed to complete the regimen, 'just in case'. Good to hear from you, Fern.

      Delete
  2. Fern, you have been through an ordeal and we didn't know so offered no words of comfort or encouragement. I'm sure you felt depressed and even cut off from the outside world. We were out here and wondering what was happening at your homestead. Just assumed you were still going full out getting ready for the worst. But, the worst came from a different direction. That's the way it happens most times. Hurricane, tornado, flood, OR health crises. Even so, having food in the house is always a good thing. Sounds like your planning to have less is a good move - less garden, less animals to take care of, getting rid of the excess. Our bodies get older with less strength and stamina so we must be smarter with our expectations of ourselves. God speed with your new normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After three years, things have become the new normal and I usually don't even think of it anymore unless I drop something. Milking the goats is a little different since I don't have a full grip, but now, it's no big deal. After the month quarantine, it was time to plant the garden, so life went on, even feeling sick, we still had somewhat of a garden that year. I thought it was good training for a collapse situation. If it is a matter of survival, you keep on, regardless of how you feel.

      You're right about bodies getting older and adjusting expectations for project completion, even if it's canning a batch of greens. It just takes us a little longer so we don't get as much done in a day. That's part of adjusting and still preparing.

      Life is a school. Life long learning. Sometimes the classes you sign up for make, sometimes you are put in a different class not of your choosing. Learning takes place either way.

      Thanks for the comment and thoughts. Fern

      Delete
  3. Fern, thank you so much for sharing your ordeal with us. We just never know what difficulties we may face from day to day. You were blessed with doctors knowledgeable enough to treat your serious infection in time. You are also blessed to have such a wonderful and caring husband. I am glad you are better and glad you are back. Thank you...CW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about my husband, CW. A while after I got the pic line out he told me it broke his heart everyday he had to give me the medicine that made me so sick. He never complained, not once. Frank and I are very blessed in our marriage and relationship. It's a gift.

      Fern

      Delete
  4. Oh my, what a horrible experience. I've never heard of this kind of infection and am relieved that you finally got it beat. But what a trial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When your husband, Dan, hurt his hand, Leigh, I really felt for you two. It is an ordeal and an ongoing trial. I am fortunate that I have such flexibility and use of my hand, I read that Dan is still struggling with movement of his injured finger. In the meantime it looks like you're making great progress on the homestead. Hang in there! Fern

      Delete
  5. While getting food from the pantry this morning, it struck me that the pantry is not nearly as deep as it was a few years ago. Your being back online has opened my eyes to the fact that I have really slacked off in my preps. Thank you for being back and for the wake-up call. So sorry for the health issues that both you and Frank have experienced. Was there an overlap in time with both your ordeals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No overlap, we got me well for a year before Frank's bypass. We took turns. (-:

      We are still eating things from the pantry we canned a couple of years ago. Sometimes we tend to put up a lot of some things, not so much of others. I have planned out the garden rotation for this year, ordered more seeds and started rolling up newspaper pots for seedlings. I'm almost ready to start the garden. Ah, spring time. I can almost smell it.

      Fern

      Delete
  6. I too am thankful that you had great doctors and medicine available. And a loving husband to take care of you and yours. I used to take my health for granted, not anymore.
    SJ in Vancouver BC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Health sometimes has a way of waking us up, doesn't it SJ. Take care of yours, it's almost gardening season.

      Fern

      Delete
  7. Fern,
    My goodness what an experience to go through . An adventure like that would be a tough challenge for anyone . PTL that Frank was there to assist and be of comfort to you. I wish you a complete and comfortable recovery as things get back to a new normal.
    bluesman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After three years, we're trucking right along, Bluesman. Thanks for the thoughts, it's good to hear from you.

      Fern

      Delete
  8. oregano oil capsules? and tea tree oil for the outside application
    oregano oil can be used outside, also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not something I tried at the time, Deborah, but good information. Thank you, Fern

      Delete
  9. Is spring here? I walked out to the garbage can after lunch and there was a huge black wooly worm! Is hibernation over? Do wooly worms hibernate? After a rain earlier this week there was pollen on the drive where the water had washed toward a drain. BJ in GA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had one of those worms by the garage about a week ago, BJ, no pollen, though. It appears spring will wait until later here, just wishful thinking on my part. Fern

      Delete
  10. I was going to ask about your hand. Good heavens you had a time of it. Health issues are a humbling thing. Your remark about milking being therapy is exactly right. Milking the cows has done wonders for my hands. I have far more flexibility than before the cows arrived.
    Thank God you are mostly recovered. God Bless Frank....he is proof that really good men are not Toxic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And besides physical therapy, milking is good psychological/emotional therapy. To me, it's a calming activity, provides food and allows me to provide for Frank and I. Well, it can be frustrating occasionally if the animal doesn't cooperate, but by and large it is a very peaceful, productive time in my day.

      Fiona, Frank is the most choice blessing of my life. God has blessed me well.

      Fern

      Delete