The Road Home

The Road Home
There is no place like home.

Friday, June 13, 2014

No Shampoo, Three Months Later

I wanted to give you another update on my No Shampoo experience. I have made a few slight changes, and continue to be very happy with the results.

After about six weeks of using my baking soda and vinegar combinations, I realized my hair was getting pretty dry and so was my scalp. So, I went back and re-read some of the information I originally used to make this change.

Before

In this article, "However, baking soda can leave your hair very dry and give your scalp a scaly look, and so you may consider applying a moisturizer on your hair. Baking soda is good for people who have an oily scalp. People who have a dry scalp may need to consider using extra ingredients, and this is where cider vinegar comes in." And then it goes on to say, "Apple cider vinegar is a natural moisturizer. It is ideal for dry hair and scalp. After long periods of using baking soda to clean hair, your hair is likely to become dry. After washing and rinsing with the baking soda solution, pour a mix of apple cider vinegar and water through your hair and then rinse with water again. This cleanses your hair and also leaves it moisturized. Baking soda and cider vinegar is good for people with a normal, dry or even combined scalp."

One week later
So, with this in mind, I changed up my routine a little. I am using two teaspoons of baking soda with two cups of water for shampoo,  and two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in two cups of water for conditioner. I have also changed how I use the vinegar conditioner. Instead of only putting a little on the ends of my hair, which was leaving it pretty dry, I put a liberal amount on all of my hair, from scalp to ends. It does make a difference. Now when I rinse my hair, it feels smooth and silky like it used to with the commercial products. I know that isn't the end goal, but it does feel like it did back then. Originally, I only used the vinegar rinse on the ends of my hair because some of the articles I read led me to believe the hair next to my scalp would look greasy and dirty. Since my hair was getting pretty dry, I figured I was past the stage of adjusting to the change, and tried using the rinse on all of my hair.

One month later
I am also very happy to report that I still do not require any medicated products for the psoriasis on my scalp. I continue to itch a little, but there is no comparison to before when I was using prescription and other medicated products on a regular basis. I usually have an outbreak of psoriasis each spring on my arms and stomach when I get a patch of poison ivy, which makes me blister. This year has been no exception. I wondered if my No Poo routine would be able to withstand this outbreak, and it has. Another plus.

Three months later
My hair actually looks better. Frank says he can't tell the difference, I look like I always have. My hair still feels thicker and fuller. It combs out differently. It doesn't get near as tangled as it use to, and I have a lot of hair. I have been able to change to using only a comb and not using a brush at all. I think my hair breaks off less, because there is much less hair in my comb each day than there ever was before I quit using shampoo and a brush.

I am consistently amazed at all of the things out there to learn that can make us healthier, happier people. I am just grateful that I ran across this one thing. It has really opened my eyes to how dousing our bodies with chemicals everyday affects our health.

Until next time - Fern

14 comments:

  1. Fern,

    This is a great post. I'm going to have my wife read it. Personally, I haven't used any shampoo in the last twelve years. I simply wash my hair with my wife's homemade soap. It works for me, but not for her. So I think she will be very interested in your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this can be of help to her, Mr. Kimball. I have been amazed at what it has done for me. Tell her one of my next goals is to make soap!

      Fern

      Delete
  2. I am making a committment starting this morning to go shampoo free for 2 months. To see how it changes my hair. I am getting most of it cut off tomorrow, so I will not have to deal with the length you have, but I am tired of having itchy scalp. I am pretty sure it is the chemicals in the shampoos and conditioners that I have been using.

    It was great to open my computer this morning and see your post on this subject. My hair feel light and very thick (which I have extremely fine hair!) after washing with baking soda and rinsing with the vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first thought, Amanda, is....Don't cut your hair!! But that's just me. I haven't cut my hair short in about 45 years, so I have a bias in that direction.

      I really hope this works for you as it has for me. It has been a real blessing to decrease the chemicals and increase my health. The way you describe your hair sounds like mine when I first started. I don't know how you 'fix' your hair or how this may affect it. I don't do anything with mine, except braid it into a ponytail during the summer. Good luck!

      Fern

      Delete
  3. Fern, I switched to baking soda and a vinegar rinse about three weeks ago and am very happy with it. I misread the directions and have been using the vinegar/water rinse like you are now, on all of my hair. I do think it's the "secret". I mix the baking soda with the herbal shampoo "tea" I've been making for awhile; I like it so much better with the baking soda in it.

    I plan to someday make a shampoo bar, but since I've been planning to do that for at least two years, I'm not holding my breath. I did try my homemade soap on my hair for awhile, but that's another story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Kathi, I'm glad it's working for you. I haven't looked into a shampoo bar, sounds interesting. One of my next goals is to make soap. That will be really neat.

      Fern

      Delete
  4. When I started using baking soda several years ago I had the same problem. So I started using the baking soda once a week and then just rinsed my hair the other days and put on the vinegar solution with lavender EO added for a nice scent. I have not had the dried hair problem since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the input, Lanita. I haven't tried only using the vinegar rinse. I have used both the baking soda and vinegar each time. I'm glad you shared this because it may help someone else.

      Fern

      Delete
  5. If you want to naturally treat the itching and condition your hair at the same time try putting honey on your hair, I've done it and it works. I take 1 Tbs. olive oil and WARM it up ( just warm it enough to dissolve the honey you don't want to overheat it and kill all the good stuff), then add 2 Tbs. honey and mix it together. Apply to your hair, wrap it up and leave it for 30 min-to an hour, and rinse with baking soda and warm water. I did this 3 times the first week and saw a huge improvement! I now only do it once every 4-5 weeks ( when I feel the itch agaiin).

    Honey and Skin Research
    The hallmark study for honey's therapeutic effect on dandruff was published in the European Journal of Medical Research in 2004. Researchers applied honey to the scalp of 30 people struggling with dandruff for three hours daily, washing the substance off with warm water. Within one week, the symptom of itching subsided dramatically, and within two weeks, skin lesions disappeared. After four weeks, researchers switched to once-weekly treatments, for another six months. Subjects reported little relapse and improved scalp condition, as well as less hair loss.

    While not focused on dandruff, a 2003 study in the journal "Complementary Therapies in Medicine" found the topical administration of a honey mixture improved symptoms of dermatitis and psoriasis in two weeks. In 2004, the journal published a study tracking a three-week regimen of using a honey mixture that led to significant improvements in three different skin fungal infections.

    Honey also completely got rid of what I am assuming was a psoriasis out break I had this spring, just put full strength honey on the area daily for an hour and rinse with warm water. It took away the pain, and inflammation right after the treatment, and slowly the reddness and skin build-up disapeared. Now as soon as I feel the slightest twinge of pain I slap honey on it and it is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read many things about the healing properties of honey, but not this. Thank you very much for sharing. The more people share, the more we all learn. Thank you for taking the time to make this comment.

      Fern

      Delete
  6. First I've heard about this- using baking soda then vinegar affects your hair the same as coloring or perming? IDK, thought I would pass it along. http://www.thankyourbody.com/ph-balanced-shampoo-recipe/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for providing a different option for folks that are trying to eliminate chemicals from their shampoo routine.

      After 5 months, I am very happy with the baking soda/apple cider vinegar routine. I have been able to eliminate the prescriptions that I was using to deal with my itchy scalp caused by psoriasis. I have not had any new issues with itching, dandruff or dry hair. My hair is healthier than it has been in years. There is less hair in my comb when I comb it out, and my hair appears to be stronger and much less brittle.

      Thank you for sharing.

      Fern

      Delete
  7. This article may explain it better http://empoweredsustenance.com/no-poo-method-damages-hair/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the author of this article is correct. There are many different types of hair, just like people, and we each need to listen to the needs of our own bodies and adjust accordingly. The only difference I have with this information is that I am not having any damaging affects to my hair. It is healthier and so am I.

      While my husband was in the hospital recently, I used the baby shampoo that was in his room one time, with no conditioner. My hair really felt different. I know that baby shampoo is mild to the skin, but harsh for your hair. I was very glad to get back home to our normal routines.

      The other difference I have noticed is that I can wait and wash my hair every other day instead of everyday now, which is something I have never been able to do because my scalp and hair would get very oily. This routine works great for me.

      Again, thank you for sharing.

      Fern

      Delete