The Road Home

The Road Home
There is no place like home.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Corn & Fall Seedlings

The corn was ripe and ready to pick, so that was the chore for today. I have found it easier to pick the patch if I pull up or break off the stalks as I pick. It clears the ground and helps get it ready for the next crop.


 

I plan to use the corn stalks as a heavy mulch in a new area we want to turn into another herb bed. In years past, I have pulled up the corn stalks and piled them right outside the garden. This time, instead of stacking them on the ground, then loading them up to go somewhere else, I decided to load them directly into the back of the pickup. When I finish mowing the grass and weeds down in the area for the new bed, I can just drive by and unload these directly onto the bed. Well, that is the plan anyway.


Here is our corn harvest for the year, minus the half dozen ears we have already eaten. There are quite a few small, irregular ears that I will give to the chickens. Our young hens that are about five weeks old, have really taken to eating the scraps and comfrey leaves I bring them, so I hope they enjoy these small ears of corn. My plan is to cut the corn from the cob and can it. We tend to eat more corn from the can than from the cob, and this will also give us another learning experience since we haven't canned corn before.

I have almost finished digging the potatoes. Once the potatoes are out this area, I will till this space, along with the adjoining old beet and onion beds for some of our fall crops. The area the corn was growing in will be used as well. With that in mind, and the time growing short, at Frank's recommendation, I planted most of my fall crops in tubs on the porch a couple of days ago. The only thing I didn't plant like this are the turnips, which are Purple Top White Globes. I will direct seed them.

The things I have planted in the tubs are:
  • Dr. Jaeger's Cantaloupe - 85 days
  • Autumn King Carrots - 70 days
  • Earliana Cabbage - 57 days
  • Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach - 45-50 days
  • Long Island Improved Brussel Sprouts - 100 days
  • Cushaw Green Striped Winter Squash - 110 days

  • Bucklunch Sugar Beet - 110 days
  • Mammoth Long Red Mangel Beets - 110 days


Our first average frost date here is October 31st which is 102 days from the time I planted these seeds. The cantaloupe and winter squash vines cannot tolerate a frost.

If we have an early frost I may be able to save some of these plants with frost cloth, so I will plant them in the same area. The beets, carrots and spinach can tolerate a mild frost, so they should be fine.

The cabbage and brussel sprouts will be happier once it cools off and can take a hard frost, so I'm curious how they will do.





Gardening is an ever changing outdoor 'school house' where I never quit learning. The possibilities are endless and can reach as far as your knowledge and imagination can take you. Grow something. Anything. It never ceases to amaze me that I can take one small, tiny seed and watch it grow into something truly amazing. Something that can feed and sustain me. I am in awe.

Until next time - Fern

11 comments:

  1. My Grandparents grew lots of corn and my grandma's favorite method was to blanch the ears, cut the corn from the cob and freeze.

    -TessaDiane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know several people that freeze their corn that way, Tessa. My mom used to do the same thing. I plan to try canning the corn, one to see how it tastes, and two, so we won't have to depend upon a freezer and electricity. Thank you for sharing.

      Fern

      Delete
  2. I've canned corn before. It really isn't hard to do, just takes time to strip all the kernels. I do it the old fashioned way (like my grandma) and add just a pinch of sugar along with the salt before I put the lid on. I think it tastes wonderful that way. Also, since it's just my hubby and me now, I can the corn in either pints or half pints, so leftovers don't go to waste in the refrigerator. I agree with you about the freezer and electricity, though I must say I actually prefer corn that is frozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping to hear from someone that has canned corn, Vickie. Thank you. When I was still at home, Mom and I would blanch, then cut the corn off the cob before freezing. I figure one more step to put it in a jar and process it won't be so bad. I have never tasted it that way, though.

      Frozen vegetables taste better than canned in most circumstances, but we are trying to lessen our dependency on electricity. We feel this will increase our independence and decrease our dependence upon others sources of food preservation. Thank you for sharing.

      Fern

      Delete
  3. I canned corn last year and it is time consuming with cutting the kernels of the cob..I just used a sharp knife. It is worth it though and we enjoyed the corn over the winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sharing your experience, Fiona. We'll see how far I get with this crop.

      Fern

      Delete
  4. Never had enough corn to freeze or can - guess you could say we were gluttons when it came to eating it fresh out of the garden.
    What do you plant after corn? We used to use the 3 sisters method so the pumpkins or winter squash were left in the bed, then the next year we planted root crops. Tried to alternate heavy feeders with lighter feeders/above ground & below ground veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be planting sugar beets and turnips in this spot once we get it tilled up and ready to go. The sugar beets are already coming up in the tub on the porch, so they will be ready to plant before long.

      Your alternating planting pattern is a good example for all of us. Thank you for sharing.

      Fern

      Delete
  5. Fantastic corn crop. (I've never canned corn either - I don't have a pressure canner. I'm so afraid of them. Good luck! It'll turn out great!)

    Summer is such a wonderful time if you have a garden! So much food. It never ceases to amaze me.

    Just Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be very nervous about using a pressure canner, Just Me. But after using it for a few years, I am not near as afraid. It just takes careful practice. I re-read the directions every year to make sure I am not forgetting anything. You can do this. Start very small with something real easy, like green beans.

      It never ceases to amaze us either. It is so neat to be able to sit down and eat a meal fresh out of the garden in the summer. Thank you for sharing.

      Fern

      Delete
  6. I froze the sweet corn this year - there wasn't a lot of it - but canning it should be no harder than doing other vegetables. It's easy to cut off the cob if you put the pointy end of the ear inthe hole in the center of an angel food or bundt pan, hold the other end, and cut away. The pan catches the kernels.

    ReplyDelete