The Road Home

The Road Home
There is no place like home.

Saturday, July 12, 2014

A Healing Soup

Since Frank has been home from the hospital, I have been trying to fix some meals that will be easy on his stomach, healthy and healing. After a few days, he was up for some soup, so I went through the garden to see what I could find that would make a good healing soup. This is what I came up with.


I started off with a few tablespoons of olive oil. To that I added a pound of ground pork. While the meat browned, I cut up a few things from the garden.

I picked a pepper, a few stems of immature celery with the leaves, a few carrots, onions and a squash, along with a few purple hull peas that I shelled right into the pot. After the meat was browned I poured in the broth from last year, then started adding the vegetables.


Knowing that peppers have trace minerals that are not found anywhere else, I also added some of the peppers we dehydrated last summer. The cabbage I used was the only vegetable that came from the store. Then I looked over at the tub of potatoes we dug and picked out the small, bite sized ones and added them in whole. I seasoned it all with salt, pepper, a large handful of parsley and about two tablespoons of minced garlic. I cooked it all in my cast iron dutch oven to absorb that trace amount of iron into the soup.


Knowing that most of these ingredients came from our ground, grown with love and no chemicals whatsoever, I felt very good about the nourishment I could provide Frank to promote the healing of his body. God has certainly blessed us with His bounty, may He bless you also.

Until next time - Fern

10 comments:

  1. That meal looks so good. I use cast iron as often as possible. I bet Frank is SO glad to be home and eating real food in his own home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Fiona, we both are! Like the caption on the lead picture says, "There is no place like home."

      Fern

      Delete
  2. Uumm! Love soup, but for me it's hard to eat when it's 95 degrees outside. Hope you both are doing well, and Frank is up and at em soon! Fern, take care of yourself also! Protein, protein, protein! Helps heal te body!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Kelly, it is hard to eat soup when it is so hot. But we have been hibernating under the AC since we've been home, so it was actually pretty good. We've had eggs everyday for a great protein source along with the other yummy stuff from the garden. Thank you for the good wishes.

      Fern

      Delete
  3. I hope he heals quickly. The soup looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. It was very good. I think I will make another batch in a few days to keep up the concentrated nutrients it contains.

      Fern

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I made enough for three meals. It was good to the last drop!

      Fern

      Delete
  5. Fern, you might be interested in reading a book "Deep Nutrition". Very Informative. Borrow from a library for FREE first to see if you'd like it. This Dr. Shanahan recommends bone broth as ancestrally we used to eat. Your soup looks fantastic. Supper last night at our house was a good 90% from our garden - potato, onion, garlic and squash casserole, in a homemade 'soup mix' w/ a few bread crumbs on top, a plate of sliced tomatoes and a cucumber salad. Delish!!! We've got to stop just filling our cakeholes and start giving our bodies the good nutritive foods that our bodies require for fuel. I was horrified when I watched the children's animated movie Wall-E. It shows overweight tubbies sitting in recliners w/96oz. sodas, reaching out to grab 'fake-o food snacks' as advertisements for others was scrolled beside them on screens. I took it as a documentary and statement of our times. FOOD vs. fake-o-fillers. What's that ol' saw, "You are what you eat!"

    Been away, back trying to catch up on your blog. Hoping you and Frank are both well and his recovery is moving along. He's lucky to have a 'cooker'. I think it was my brother's lack of a good woman in the kitchen that lead to his early (to me) demise.

    Be well, and if you get time check out that book if you haven't already. Good information in there on health habits for young women who want to get pregnant, etc. What we 'older ladies' can do for sagging skins, etc. It's called FOOD!!! REAL FOOD like our ancestors ate. Gets into genetics, etc. I think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for a new resource, Sassafras, I will check it out. It sounds like you are producing some great meals at your house.

      We haven't watched TV in over 20 years. We watched some movies for a while in Alaska, but have only seen one in the last 6 years - The Road. I saw Sponge Bob once in Anchorage when I had taken a group of kids to Special Olympics. I thought it was rude, and was surprised at how mean the characters were to each other, even to their 'friends'. I could tell by the behavior of the students in my classroom that the behavior exhibited on TV is still going down hill. Watching television something we don't miss at all even though most people, especially kids, just can't understand how we can possibly live without it. Even though I have never seen the show you are talking about, you've given me one more reason to believe that life without television is a good idea.

      Frank is doing better day by day. Thank you for your kind thoughts.

      Fern

      Delete