- James Howard Kunstler is the author of The Long Emergency and World Made By Hand. We first read The Long Emergency which is not a novel, but a basic outline of particular time, is five or six years old. But the concept that oil is going to, or has peaked, is real. His novel World Made By Hand is centered around an upstate New York community. This little town exhibits the effects of how life will be when the gears grind to a halt. He also has a few other books following World Made By Hand that are the same general theme and with some of the same characters. We enjoyed his books. They have an adult theme.
- William R. Forstchen is the author of One Second After. It was one of the first collapse type books that we read, maybe not the first, but one of them. It's basic concept is that there is a collapse that is the after effects of an EMP, electromagnetic pulse, which is the results of an explosion from a high level
- James Wesley Rawles is the author of How to Survive the End of The World As We Know It which we would To the best of my knowledge, Patriots is the first in his series of novels that supports this same general theme. He has published three or four good novels, well worth the read, about different scenarios where a handful of individuals try to get home or to their retreat. Again, well worth the read. Like the others mentioned above, his books are adult themed, but there is no language or sexual references. Jim Rawles is also the author of the highly successful SurvialBlog.
- Laura Ingalls Wilder is the author of the Little House on the Prairie series. Her books are a collection of experiences about life as she and her family experienced. Most folks will remember the TV series named Little House on the Prairie. Her
- Cormac McCarthy is the author of The Road. Most folks will think of The Road as a video, and it is, and it is a very good video, too. It is one of the few we have watched in the last six years. But if you like the video, read the book. This book is
- A. American is the author of Going Home and three more books in this series, and maybe more to come. The main character is traveling on business and is stranded away from home. This first book, Going Home, is about the encounters he
- Glen Tate is the author of the 299 Days series. His series of books are based on how he, his family, friends and community survive a collapse. This collapse is not sudden and abrupt. He
- Colonel Oliver North is the author of a series of books, including his newest book, Counterfeit Lies, which is the first one we read, but not the first in this series. He had a series of books before this, which we are reading now. As you can imagine, his books are military based, dealing with conflicts around the world. If
- Thomas A. Lewis is the author of Brace for Impact, Surviving
There are some other books we have read along the way that we just can't recommend. Sometimes it's hard to pick out a new author. You can't help but wonder if it will be just another shoot em' up zombie thriller, or something you can walk away from pondering. We hope you enjoy some of the titles we have recommended. If you have read some books and you think the audience here would enjoy them, please give the title, author and a brief description. We are always looking for new books to read.
Frank and Fern