The Road Home

The Road Home
There is no place like home.

Monday, March 10, 2014

Copper's Babies & Other Goat Lore

Copper, January 2013
Our little girl Copper has now come full circle and has her own little ones. Copper was born here last January and needed to have her ear fixed. She, like her mother One Stripe, had her babies 150 days from breeding. I have learned over the years that I can just about set the calendar on One Stripe. If I have her breed date correctly recorded, she will kid 150 days later. It appears Copper may be the same way. Interesting. This is something you won't know if you don't have a recorded history on your animals or if they are new to your place.

May 6th
A warning here. If you don't want to see some of the birthing process, close your eyes as you read. Otherwise, you may see some ick and goo. We penned Ivory and Copper up the evening of 149 days for Copper. Ivory was already at 154 days, which is her MO (mode of operation). I will tell Ivory's story later.

May 7th
Since Copper was my only first freshener, or first timer, she is the one I watched the closest. She started giving definite signs of labor on the morning of her 150th day. Her tailbone became very pronounced. Her hips were wide open. She kept looking at her stomach and tail like she was asking, "What's going on back there?"



She also wanted a lot of petting, scratching and reassurance. I came and went from the barn, staying for a while and pulling up a chair.





The last time I came up, this is what I found. And with each contraction, Copper would yell in protest. Quite loudly. I have had some goats that don't make a sound as they give birth, some that groan a little and some that really yell. Copper fit into the latter category.

Well, I let her be for a while. She got up and moved around some which lessened her pain because she quit hollering with each
Two little feet
contraction. But after a bit she laid back down and commenced yelling again. I only watched that for a short time. Then I went in and gently pulled on the protruding feet as Copper had a few more contractions. Out popped the head of her first born, with the rest of the body following quickly afterward. At first Copper visibly relaxed with a huge sigh, but didn't turn around to begin cleaning up her baby. So I handed him up to her so she could easily reach him and, thankfully, she began to clean him up right away. In very short order with one or two more pushes, out pops another kid with little effort. The first kid was larger than the second. The length of time it took for the second one to be born makes me wonder if they weren't competing for first place in the birthing process, thus causing Copper so much pain.


But she took to them, cleaned them and mothered them very well. All signs of a good, productive mother. Thank you. When you have a new animal or one having their first babies, there is always a question about how they will perform. It's disappointing when the results are not favorable, especially after waiting months to find out. It's great when they meet or exceed your expectations.


One of the things we do as soon after birth as possible is trim, if needed the babies umbilical cords. One to one and a half inches is a good length. Then we totally coat the cord with strong 7% Iodine. This strong solution will close off, basically cauterize, the umbilical cord and thus, the opening to the body, removing an avenue for bacterial infections which can be lethal.



I was very excited to learn that Copper's second kid is a doe. I was hoping she would have one that we could keep. This means she had to meet our color requirements. Our original herd had more color
Spunk 2009
patterns and our original buck had a lot of spots. We have gradually been able to almost eliminate the spots from our herd. In the previous post on radios Frank mentioned the gray man who is nondescript and doesn't draw attention to himself. This is the kind of goat herd we want as well. We found that the spotted goats just drew too much attention. The "Wow-wee, look at that!" kind of attention that we didn't want. Our goal with the goats is to have milk and meat. Having milk also gives us the opportunity to make butter, cheese, yogurt and kefir. This is the purpose of our goats, not to draw attention to our attempts at self-reliance and ability to survive.



Copper's little girl was born with copper rings around her eyes, just like her mother. When I mentioned this to our friend, CB, she asked us if Copper now had her little Penny, and the name has stuck. And if you don't mind me saying so, Penny is a beautiful little girl.



Penny, one day old

Before you ask what her brother's name is you should know that we ban the boys so they become wethers, just like a bull becomes a steer. The boys are our meat on the hoof. Meat that doesn't require refrigeration or freezer space. Kind of like insurance. If the grid goes down or a long
Penny's brother
term collapse occurs, we want to have meat we can deal with on a small scale, thus the wethers. So, most boys born here, like Velvet's, get the names of Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, or at least that is our standing joke. But seriously, these boys are part of our food storage. Meat on the hoof. So, I don't give them cute names or get attached to them. I think Velvet's boys are just beautiful, but I don't spend much time talking to them or petting them. I want them to be tame so we can handle them as needed and they won't run away anytime we are around. But, other than that, I view them as food. The girls, on the other hand, are a whole different story. I already adore Penny. 
 
Velvet's boys

I know some people say they just can't eat an animal they raise, but to me, it is all in the way you approach the situation. If you raise animals for a particular purpose, then you keep that mind frame. Take Velvet for instance. She is for sale. She was born here, we named her, worked with
her, trained her to milk and have had two sets of her babies. She is One Stripe's daughter and Copper's sister, but we can't keep them all or we would quickly be overrun with too many animals and be overwhelmed and give up. Believe me. We have been there and done that. Our first herd was Suffolk sheep, nine ewes and a ram, which quickly turned into 27 animals once all of the babies were born on our 5 acres. We were totally overwhelmed and instead of selling some and keeping the best, we sold them all. Not the best decision we have made. But we kept trying with other flocks and eventually switched over to goats.

And another thing we learned in the last two years, grandmothers tend to nurse their grand'kids'. Last year, Ivory's mother, Katy, did just that. She 'took over' Ivory's daughter leaving Ivory her son to
Katy with Ivory to her left
nurse. I thought that was very interesting, but I figured it was because someone came and bought two of Katy's triplets when they were three days old, leaving her tons of milk and only one kid to nurse. But this year, One Stripe lost her babies in January and I have been milking her ever since. The other day I caught her nursing Velvet's boys and looking just pleased as punch. One Stripe has always been an excellent mother and loves her babies. This now makes it easy to sell Velvet when her boys are two weeks old instead of waiting until they are weaned at eight weeks. Interesting. We never quit learning more about goats. They are always teaching us something.


Ivory in waiting

I'll fill you in on Ivory next. I really thought she would have her babies before Copper, but that was not the case. Ivory's babies are beautiful though and arrived without a hitch. And the baby chicks are hatching and the garden is just about ready to plant. Ahhh....spring! The time of life and renewal. Take advantage of it as quick as you can. I pray things in the world don't boil over this summer. That will give us more time to learn and prepare.


Until next time - Fern

15 comments:

  1. They are adorable! Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Granny. Baby goats are adorable, I agree. Then they grow up!

      Fern

      Delete
  2. What great news! This is a really good post [as usual]. The photos are just what people need to see if they are going to have a homestead and raise livestock of any kind. As to eating animal that we raise, I read something somewhere that made sense to me. To save them we have to eat them. There has to be a demand for the meat, eggs or whatever from animals so people have to have more of them. This increases the demand for the animal and is good for us as we eat non- industrialized food, steroid, hormone and antibiotic free! Sorry I could get ranting about thins!
    Happy Birthday to the "Kids"! God bless your farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiona, there is a reason we try to raise as much of our food as possible. We could discuss that at length. Hmm...might make a good post, now that you mention it. Thanks for reading and for the comment.

      Fern

      Delete
    2. I apologize for the typos in my comment/mini rant! New Glasses are on the way! Your opinions on why we should be raising more of our own food would be great!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad all the babies have arrived safely. Recently the older gentleman I buy hay from said he only keeps white goats (Nubian/Saanan crosses) so that he can see them easily in the woods. That was the first time someone had told me that "color" means more than "flashy". I'd not looked at it like that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathi, that is very interesting. You see, we wanted a more natural, red color so that it wouldn't stand out. It is interesting that the gentleman wanted white so it would stand out. That just goes to show that different people have different uses for the same thing. It is something to think about, isn't it? Thanks for the thought.

      Fern

      Delete
  4. Oh, I wish that I could be there, holding them. They are beautiful! When we had animals, (and we had lots), I had no problem eating them. Mind you, butchering was difficult, but it had to be done, and it was a comfort to know that they had the best life that we could give them, and a humane death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't like butchering animals. It's just one of those chores that is unpleasant, but needs to be done. But I do enjoy eating my own animals.

      Frank

      Delete
  5. Hi Fern! Thank you for sharing your goat posts! They are so informative! I love all the photos! Copper and Penny are such pretty animals! It's so nice to read about things I am doing! I haven't hatched chicks yet, since we have no rooster. Hubs doesn't like getting awakened before dawn. Come to think of it, neither do I! But I hope we will go that route before too long. I can hardly wait to read about Ivory's birth story! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can, Felicia, locate your chicken house farther away. After a while you do get used to a rooster crowing. We'll be sharing Ivory's story before long. It's a whole lot easier to hold a goat's baby than a cow's baby, and, of course, I think they're cuter. We're glad you are finding something useful here.

      Fern

      Delete
  6. Glad that you had good Moms in your herd. I recently had 3 goats to kid, the first was a good mother to both, the second to kid rejected her second one, and the third only had one and is a good mother. Not what we wanted to do, but bottle feeding the "reject" was rewarding and we found him a good home. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, we haven't ever bottle fed our kids. I have had some moms that weren't very interested in having the kids nurse, but I just clipped their collars to the panel in their pen and made them let the babies eat. It is a tremendous amount of work at first, but it pays off in the long run. We have given away a small, weak quadruplet to someone that wanted to bottle feed.

      I guess the thing we have done over time that has made our goat herd more enjoyable is selectively cull those does that don't perform up to our expectations. I will give some first fresheners a second chance if they have difficulty at first, but only if they have some redeeming virtue to offset the difficulty. Now we have a small herd that is very easy to handle and great moms. I wouldn't have it any other way.

      Thank you for sharing your experience. It's a great way to learn from each other.

      Fern

      Delete
  7. Have you tried goat milk soap or lotion yet? They are relatively easy to make, and very rewarding... http://www.oursimplefarm.com/p/free-videos.html#.UynSM9z5nwJ
    This lady has a great video tutorial on both with which I started my soaping and lotion making journey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried to make soap or lotion. Right now I am focusing on the edible side of goat milk. Thank you for sharing the link with our readers. Best of luck with your journey.

      Fern

      Delete