There are many local stores that we do enjoy shopping in, though. A small example would be where I buy my tires is a local mom and pop type store. The folks at the local hardware store know us by name, you know, Jerk and Turn. And, of course, we buy our prescriptions locally. All of our animal feed comes from our very local feed store. There are many other examples where we shop local, but we use the internet for lots of items.
We have tried to organize these companies into groups, but as you know, groups don't always work out, so a few may appear to be out of place. So here they are, in no particular order.
- R.H. Shumway's - garden seeds, some plants
- Companion Plants - herbal plants and seeds
- Horizon Herbs
- Stark Brother's Nurseries and Orchard
- Simmon's Plant Farm - berries, grapes
- Jeffer's Livestock & Pet Supplies - all goat, dog and cat medications and supplies; good prices, wide variety
- Murray McMurray Hatchery
- GQF Manufacturing Company - 12VDC incubator
- Hoegger Supply Company - cheese making and milking supplies
- Caprine Supply
- New England Cheesemaking Supply Company
Kitchen & Home Supplies
- KaTom Restaurant Supplies - cast iron
- Canning Pantry
- Tattler Reusable Canning Lids
- Freckle Face.com - gamma seal lids
- Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - pantry moth traps
- Knife Center
- Universal Radio - my overall favorite
- R & L Electronics
- Radioddity - inexpensive VHF/UHF
- PowerWerx - power pole connectors
- Bells CB Radio - a good radio shop
- Battery Junction - rechargeable batteries and chargers
General Retailers for a variety of products
This is not an exhaustive list by any means. These are just some retailers that we feel comfortable and confident using. Many of the names you will recognize right off hand. But, as an example, take Wal-Mart. This store has canning supplies, clothing, outdoor equipment, radio supplies and things you may never really think of. In your process of looking for items, check out some of the unlikely retailers that you don't normally expect to stock what you might need. Don't forget to figure in shipping. Sometimes when you buy from a national chain that has a local outlet, it can be shipped to that store with no extra charges. This saves sharply on freight charges for heavy or oversize items.
We would like your input now. Please share with all of us the online companies that you use, and will continue to use. It's important for us all to shop and buy from reputable, trusted dealers. So if you feel comfortable recommending a site, or multiple sites, please do so. Because we all like shopping with honest folks. We hope you find this list interesting, helpful and useful. Happy shopping.
Frank & Fern