The Road Home

The Road Home
There is no place like home.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

No Shampoo Six Months Later...and Never Again

Well, it has now been six months since I quit using any hair care products, and I never plan to use any again. After this length of time and the wonderful results I have had, I can truly say I never intend to use any shampoo or conditioner again. Why would I? I now have less itching or psoriasis symptoms, and I have eliminated a source of daily chemical exposure for my body. Needless to say, I am very happy with the results.

To follow this experiment I have been conducting, here are the previous articles which outline the steps I have taken.

No More Shampoo - March, 31, 2014

No Shampoo, One Month Later - April 24, 2014

No Shampoo, Three Months Later - June 13, 2014


Here is a pictorial view of the past six months without shampoo.

Before I started, March 20th


One month later, April 22nd

 
Three months later, June 12th

Now, six month later, September 24th

I still have a little itching from my psoriasis, but continue to be medication free after six months of time. That in itself is worth the effort to do something a little different. Along the way I have told a few people that I have quit using shampoo and they have been surprised. No one has been able to tell the difference. There have been a few times that I thought the hair next to my scalp didn't look as clean as I would like for it to. Then I only applied the vinegar solution to the ends of the hair for a few days and it took care of that. There are many times now that I only wash my hair every other day instead of everyday, like I did when I still used shampoo.


I had wondered from time to time what I would do with my hair in a collapse scenario. I doubt if I would wash it as often, and I had even thought I might have to cut it short. This is not an option I relish, since I have not cut my hair any shorter than it is now for over 40 years. The option of using baking soda and vinegar, is much more viable than depending on a stock of commercial hair care products, and one that can be incorporated into a survival scenario. That gives me one less thing to worry about. Now I just need to start making some bars of soap for the rest of our cleaning needs. It's one of the things on my list of skills to learn. If you get the chance to learn something new, take it, and then share with the rest of us.

Until next time - Fern

10 comments:

  1. Your hair is a very pretty color! So you use both baking soda and vinegar on your hair almost every day? Just on the roots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. Yes, I use baking soda and vinegar on my hair regularly. The techniques and recipes are in the older posts linked in this article. I changed up the routine over time, so if you're considering this, I would recommend you go back and read all of them to see the changes made and why. Thank you for sharing.

      Fern

      Delete
  2. oklahoma pastry cloth
    has an excellent soapmaking article with pictures. it will be in her archives since it has been a couple of years, if i remember correctly.
    deb h.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link, Deb. I have been researching soap making for quite a while. I'm just waiting for time. The recipe I have decided to try first has only three ingredients: goat milk, lard and lye. I really look forward to trying it. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you again for sharing.

      Fern

      Delete
  3. If you were closer, I could teach you how to make soap. I've been making it for years.

    I want to thank you for this hair care routine, I've started using it as well and am very happy with the results. I use homemade vinegar in the rinse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade vinegar. Now that would be another new step, along with the soap. I just love learning, and you never know what may show up next. Thank you for sharing, Kathi, I'm glad this has worked well for you.

      Fern

      Delete
  4. Homemade vinegar? Such basic ingredients with great results!
    Fern your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fiona. Maybe one day I can make vinegar like Kathi, and use it for my hair.

      Fern

      Delete