The Road Home

The Road Home
There is no place like home.

Friday, August 30, 2013

Fern's Salsa

This salsa recipe has been adjusted several times to the current ratio of vegetables. We really enjoy it. Especially with fresh corn chips. We buy corn tortillas then fry them in olive oil and sprinkle on a little salt. They are very good alone. But when you add a bowl of fresh salsa, it's almost a meal in itself.

We eat the recipe fresh and we also can it to eat throughout the winter. The ratios can be increased or decreased depending on the number of ingredients you have or your taste preferences. We like the simplicity of the recipe.


Since I made this batch of salsa over a few evenings due to time constraints, I chilled the ingredients as I prepared them. Before I canned it, I heated it all to boiling.


Earlier in the summer when I only had a few tomatoes, I peeled them by hand to make a quart of fresh salsa. For this batch I actually had a decent number of tomatoes so I blanched them.

Boil a pot of water deep enough to hold some tomatoes. Leave the them in the boiling water for about a minute or until the skins start to split. Then put them in a sink of cold water. 


The skins will slip off easily after they are blanched.





Peel and chop 6 cups of tomatoes to the desired consistency. Some folks use a blender or a food processor, I dice them. 






Finely chop and add 4 medium onions and 1/2 cup jalapeno. Add 1 tsp. salt.

Finely chop and add 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro (more or less). Adjust the amount according to your taste. I tend to add more than the recipe calls for. We really like the flavor. I bought these plants in the produce section at the store. When I plant cilantro here in the spring it bolts and goes to seed. These are trying to do the same thing. So I keep them potted on the porch so I can go out and take clippings for the salsa.  


Stir well. To eat fresh - chill (if you can wait that long). Eat!

To can, heat to boiling, fill hot, sterilized jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Wipe rims, put on lids and rings. Water bath for 15 minutes after coming to a full rolling boil. Remove the canner lid and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove the jars and place them on a towel, then cover with a heavy towel and let cool slowly and seal.

This is another tasty, easy way to preserve our wonderful harvest.

Until next time - Fern

4 comments:

  1. Great tutorial. The salsa sounds good - I haven't found a "perfect for us" recipe yet. We love fried tortillas too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love salsa! As for the cilantro I found out last year that I can plant it in the fall and it will winter over. I had fresh cilantro through the winter months. It was still there in the spring and did well until it warmed up some. Then it bolted of course! lol
    Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planted some cilantro in my herb bed last summer that bolted and died. I figured that was the end of it. Then some time this spring I was pulling some weeds and came to this plant that I thought I should recognize - it was cilantro. It must have come up from last year's seeds. I let it grow, but long before any tomatoes or peppers were ready, it bolted, went to seed and died. I left all of the seeds so it will spread some. I wonder if it will come up in the winter now that I know it can live and reseed itself here? Of course, I won't have any tomatoes and peppers in the winter! Thanks!

      Fern

      Delete
  3. Hi Fern, I love your name, love your blog, and love your herbal/gardening/food tips. Thank you for sharing them! Cheers, RaVen (a Deaf amateur herbalist/gardener).

    ReplyDelete