The Road Home

The Road Home
There is no place like home.

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Chevre Cheese

Chevre is a soft cheese made from goat milk. The consistency is similar to cream cheese, but the flavor is different because it is made from whole milk, not cream.

By itself, chevre doesn't have a lot of flavor. It is good mixed with herbs as a dip or spread. It also makes a very good cheesecake. The flavor is different from a cream cheese cheesecake, but still very good.

One nice thing about chevre is how easy it is to make. 



A standard batch that makes about four cups of cheese is made from five quarts of milk.




Heat the milk to 86 degrees, then add 1/2 cup of cultured buttermilk and three tablespoons of diluted rennet. Diluted rennet is made by adding three drops of rennet to 1/3 cup of cold water. 
Cover the cheese pot and let set for 12 to 18 hours. The cheese curd should be solid and will break when you poke it (like the cheddar cheese). 

Line another pot with a cheese cloth and scoop the curd into it.


Now comes a trick that I learned watching a YouTube. Hold two corners of the cheese cloth in each hand.
Roll the cheese back and forth in the cloth.
This will release a lot of the whey from the curd. The first few times I made chevre there was a lot of whey left in the curd when I finished hanging it (you will see that in a minute). This rolling activity has improved the consistency of the cheese.





Tie the opposite corners of the cheese cloth together so you can hang it to drain.


 



Frank put this hook right under the edge of the upper cabinet just for hanging our cheeses. It works great and is not noticeable when not in use.



Next, hang the cheese and let it drain for 12 to 15 hours. I usually time this so the cheese will hang overnight. This way it won't be in the way during the day. 




There will still be a little whey puddled on the cheese in the morning, but it can easily be poured off. The consistency is semi firm, it will keep it's shape but is very soft.

We like to mix one cup of chevre with one tablespoon of dried onions and one teaspoon of salt. This is good with veges from the garden.



Freezing doesn't change the flavor or consistency of chevre. It will keep in the refrigerator for about two weeks.






I think it's about time for another cheesecake. That means we will need to make some graham crackers for the crust. 

Until next time - Fern



3 comments:

  1. I hope you'll post on making the graham crackers. I'd love to put that into my repertoire. Tried making soda cracker. Yuck, more like hardtack.

    I took a simple cheese making class last spring. We made ricotta, mascarpone and 'finished' making chevre at home. I enjoyed it but not sure not sure how much I'd get into it. I don't have those cute little 4 leggers running around my place. Darn!

    Thanks for posting these. I love the detailed steps and you make it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will post about making graham crackers. I have only made them a few times, but it is pretty simple. Then I'll have to add the cheese cake to go in it! Hmm..and something to go on top of the cheese cake.....

      I am glad you are enjoying the blog. Who knows you may end up with goats some day.

      Fern

      Delete
  2. Great tip with the cheese cloth! I really need to try chevre. I jumped right into mozzarella and hard cheeses, although we love soft cheeses too. And I second the request for the graham cracker recipe (another favorite which I've been unable to buy considering what's in commercially made graham crackers!)

    ReplyDelete